This tutorial describes how to design an F2 nursery with checks.
- Start a New Nursery
- Collect Trait Data & Make Selections
- Advance by Single Plant Selection to F3
Start a New Nursery
- From Manage Nursery, select Start a New Nursery.
- Name and describe the F2 Nursery. Use a previously created nursery as template. Select choose.
- Select the F1 Nursery as a template.
Add Selection Unit & Traits
The F2 Nursery will be advanced by selection based on disease resistance measures. Unit of selection and the disease trait must be added to the nursery settings supplied by the F1 Nursery template.
- Add from the dropdown menu. Save nursery in the 2017 folder.
- Selection: Ears Selected (nEarSel)
- Traits: Downy mildew severity (DMSev_E_1to5)
Germplasm & Checks
- From the Germplasm & Checks tab, Browse for the list of nursery test entries.
- Select the F2 Germplasm list.
- Browse under Selected Checks for the list of check entries.
- Select Nursery Checks.
- Specify check details.
- First check inserted at position 1.
- Insert each check in turn.
- 9 entries between checks
- Save the nursery to populate the Measurements tab. Notice the empty columns of data for traits and selections.
The nursery design is now available for the following next steps. For brevity this tutorial skips 1-3, which are covered in previous tutorials.
- Make labels for nursery plots
- Make labels for seed withdrawal
- Field mapping
- Export of nursery book for data collection
Collect Trait Data & Make Selections
Export Nursery Book
- Export Nursery Book from the Actions menu.
- Choose Excel (.xls) as the export format with data collected in plot order. Export the .xls file to your computer.
- Open the file with Excel and review. The observation sheet is similar to Measurements table, with two empty columns for data collection.
- Select and copy the values in the table below.
- Paste the data into the DMSev_E_1to5 and nEarsSel columns. Save the Excel file.
- Select Import Measurements from the Actions menu.
- Browse to and import the example file.
- Save the nursery with imported data.
Advance by Single Plant Selection to F3
- Advance Nursery from the Actions menu.
- Ears selected correspond to individual F2 plants. Choose the single plant selection breeding method. Since different numbers of lines are selected for each plot, deselect and choose the selection unit, nEarSel. Identify the Harvest Location.
- Select Finish and review the pending F3 lines.
- Select Finish after review and name, describe, and save the F3 Germplasm list.
Harvest F3 Seed
- Select Generate Stock List from Advanced List Actions to record the amount of seed harvested.
- Select the check box at the top of the table to highlight all entries. Select Update Inventory from the Stock List Actions.
- Specify storage location, g -weighed, and amount of 150 for all entries. Save the nursery.
Review Germplasm Details
150 grams of seed has now been applied to all 267 F3 germplasm entries.
- Select IB1-RB-1 to review germplasm details.
Harvesting the exact same amount of seed from each cross may not be realistic. To record individual amounts, you have the option to exporting the stock list (.xls), enter individual values per entry and import the stock list.
- Notice that the correct breeding method, Single plant selection, was applied in the creation of this germplasm. Select View Pedigree Graph from Pedigree Tree.
- Select 'Include derivative and maintenance lines' and Display.
Pedigree graph of generative methods connects the F3 germplasm to the original crosses.
Pedigree graph of derivative and maintenance lines connects the F3 germplasm to the F2 and F1 lines.