Administrative permissions limit germplasm import to program administrators. Contact your program or system administrator for assistance.
Import new germplasm, such as when a shipment of new inventory arrives in a breeding program. Uploading new germplasm list assigns database identifiers (GIDs) to the germplasm and make appropriate matches to existing pedigrees. Inventory amount and seed storage locations are optional data that can imported along with other germplasm details.
- Select Import Germplasm from under Information Management. (This option is only available to those users with administrative permissions.) Download the import germplasm template (.xls).
The template consists of 3 worksheets.
- Description: Metadata about the list. Optional editing to support customization (see Codes below).
- Observation: Germplasm details. ENTRY (1,2,3 ...n) and DESIGNATION (germplasm name) are mandatory.
- Codes: Provides optional column headers to customize germplasm details.
- Enter the mandatory data, ENTRY and DESIGNATION, and any optional data. Save the .xls file.
In this example, 80 IITA RILs were advanced at a partnering institution. Seed has been returned to IITA and the information in this file must be imported into the BMS.
- Enter the seed amount in grams and save. If the units are not in grams, refer to the codes sheet to copy a column heading corresponding to other units.
Importing germplasm is the process of assigning GIDs to germplasm from external sources. You can either assign new GIDs or match to existing GIDs.
- Browse to germplasm import file (.xls), upload, and select Next.
- Specify germplasm details.
You have the option to bring in germplasm with no database connections or match to exisiting germplasm.
- Select existing germplasm whenever found to match imported germplasm to existing germplasm. Automatically accept single matches whenever found if you trust the system to match germplasm by name (DESIGNATION). Finish
- Manually specify matches within the system. Imported germplasm will share GID, pedigrees, and inventory with the matched germplasm.
- Ignore matches and add new entries for all. Imported germplasm will NOT share GIDs, pedigrees, or inventory with existing germplasm.
- Customize the stock id prefix or select continue to accept the default "SID-".
- Name, describe, and save the imported list.
Review Imported List
- Browse to the imported list from Manage Germplasm.
The first entry of this imported germplasm list was matched to an existing entry. The sum of the 2 lots of seed is reported along with the shared GID and Group ID. The other entries in the list were given their own inventory lots and GIDs.