- Breeding Management System v12
Breeding Management System v12
Breeding Management System (BMS) is an information management system developed by the Integrated Breeding Platform to help breeders manage the breeding process, from programme planning to decision-making. The BMS is customizable for most crop breeding programs, and comes pre-loaded with curated ontology terms for many crops (bean, cassava, chickpea, cowpea, groundnut, maize, rice, sorghum, soybean, wheat, and others). The BMS v12 is available as a cloud application, which can be installed on local or remote servers and accessed by multiple users.
Features & Improvements
Manage Studies combines, expands, and improves the functionalities of the previous management of nurseries and trials.
- Customize more study types than just nurseries and trials
- Make crosses from any study type
- Take genotyping samples from any study type
- Randomize any study type
- The physical location of each study instance is mandatory to facilitate reporting and geolocation
Manage Samples is a new breeding activity option.
- Review file directory of genotyping sample lists
- Import and export plate name and well-position for samples
Derived Traits can now be calculated by the Breeding Management System.
- Associate a formula to a trait via the ontology manager
- Execute the calculations from within the studies
- Visual indicator for calculations
User Management has been improved. From the backend access to menus can be customized by role (see System Administrator for more information).
BrAPI 'Call of Calls' implemented.
The Breeding Management System (BMS) contains database-integrated tools that seamlessly connect to the crop database when launched from an established Workbench program. Database integration minimizes the need to manually create, save, and import files. Some functionality, like adding ontology terms, may be restricted by user roles and permissions.
- Browse and search for germplasm and germplasm lists
- Customize lists with germplasm attributes
- Build lists for upcoming activities, like nurseries and trials
- Import new germplasm into the database
- Manage seed inventory: Review, add, commit, and withdraw
- Specify germplasm and checks
- Record environment details
- Record metadata about the study, like who was in charge
- Specify study design: randomized, Non-randomized, custom (.csv)
- Create field maps and planting labels
- Export field book for data collection
- Design and record crosses
- Make advances
- Track genealogies
- Record and label harvested inventory.
Manage Samples (beta)
- Review SNP genotyping sample lists
- Record plate and plate coordinates
Manage Trait Ontology
- Add new ontology terms, including derived calculated traits
- Edit existing ontology
- Define a preferred name for terms within a program -for example, to reflect local language preference.
- Add new locations
- Define location type, such as breeding or seed storage location
- Define program favorites
Manage Genotyping Data & DNA Samples
- Select and sample plants for genotyping
- Store and retrieve SNP markers, molecular maps, and low-density genotyping datasets (<400K matrices)
Search, Filter and Query Studies
- Search studies by partial name and other details, like year and season
- Graphical filtering of studies to assist selection decisions
- Head to head query to compare the performance of test germplasm to standard entries across studies
- Use the BMS experimental design engine to randomize trial germplasm.
- Import trial designs generated by external design engines
- Export trial data for statistical analysis. Generate preformatted files for the Breeding View (BV), the BMS statistical package or use generic export features to analyze with the package of your choice.
The BMS has roles and permissions that support the needs of small a large breeding institutions. Administrators add and manage users and permissions. System permissions are can be customized to suit institutions with different user specializations.
This manual is designed to be a user guide. Developers and system administrators can find technical details about the system at the following links:
- BMS API
- Database Schema
- Data Model & Schema Mapping
- BMS Server Installation
- Networking for BMS Server Installation