- About Studies
- Study Basics
- More About Studies
Studies are the format that the BMS uses to plan and record breeding activities.
- Record meta-details, like cooperator information
- Select germplasm list for the study
- Identify check entries
- Describe study instances (locations, seasons, ect) and related information, such as irrigation regimes
- Design the study by plots or individual plants
- Create field maps and labels
- Plan crosses
- Record phenotypic observations
- Calculate derived traits, such as percent moisture
- Make selections and advance germplasm
- Take genotyping samples
- Record crosses
- Record and label harvest inventory
Start a New Study
Launch Study Manager from the left side menu. Select Start a New Study.
Basic Details & Saving
- Enter the basic details of the study. Start with a blank study. Once the study has a Name, a Description an an assigned study type, the study details can be saved by clicking on Save.
- Choose folder in the file directory to house the study and Select.
- Toggle the padlock icon by the actions button to lock and unlock your studies. This will keep other from editing the data. Only the study creator and the super admin have permission to unlock a locked study.
Use previously created study as template
Adding all the variables to describe your study can be time consuming. You can use an existing study as a template for the new study. Once the template study is selected some study variables will be automatically populated. All pre-populated variables can be edited, deleted, or appended.
- Selection units
- Instance (location) information
- Phenotypes to be measured/observed
Note: Template behavior has not be updated to accommodate new sub-observation and treatment factors. Studies with sub-observation datasets can be used as templates, but sub-observation datasets will need to be recreated. Studies with treatment factors can be used as templates, but this is not recommended since there is no way to edit treatment factors if needed in the new study.
- Click on the "Use previously crated study as a template" checkbox. Click on Choose. Select study to serve as template. The new study will be populated with all of the settings, treatment factors, and traits associated with plot-level observation of the template. New the study remains fully customizable if different details are needed.
- Select Delete study from the Actions menu.
- Confirm deletion by selecting yes. Keep in mind that if germplasm was generated in this study by crossing or advancement, the germplasm will not be deleted by this action, only the study information (see more about (Deleting Germplasm).
More About Studies
- Study Settings
- Study Germplasm
- Study Locations
- Treatment Factors
- Study Design